I had a lot of fun doing reading challenges for this year and so I have signed up for several again for this coming year! Here are all the ones I am signing up for and the goals I hope to meet. If you want to find out details, click on the challenge banners to get to the hosting blogs’ posts to find out guidelines and sign ups! Good luck to everybody in their challenges 🙂
Reading Challenge Details:
- Runs January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013 (books read prior to 1/1/2013 do not count towards the challenge). You can join at anytime. Sign up on The Book Vixen’s blog.
- The goal is to outdo yourself by reading more books in 2013 than you did in 2012. See the different levels below and pick the one that works best for you. You can move up a level as often as you’d like but no moving down.
- Books can be any format (bound, ebook, audio).
- Novellas that are at least 100 pages in length, as well as full-length novels, will count for this reading challenge.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- Grab the reading challenge button and post this reading challenge on your blog to track your progress. Please include a link back to this sign-up post so others can join the reading challenge too. You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads or LibraryThing.
Getting my heart rate up – Read 1–5 more books
Out of breath – Read 6–10 more books
Breaking a sweat – Read 11–15 more books
I’m on fire! – Read 16+ more books
The goal I am setting for myself: Getting my heart rate up!
So this will put my goal up to 55 books from my 50 from this past year. I would do more if I could, but I am going to be having a lot going on this coming year!
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.
- Since this is an author challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors must be new to you and, preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from anthologies.
- I want this to be an easy challenge, so you can pick to do either 15, 25 or 50 new authors. It all depends on how fast you read and how adventurous you want to be. If you reach your goal halfway through the year, don’t stop. Any new author you try can be added to Mr. Linky. We all want to know about your new experience.
- After reading your new author, write your review and then come back here and add your link to Mr. Linky. Make sure you include your name and the author, but adding the title is completely up to you.
- Bloggers or Non-Bloggers alike are welcome. You don’t have to have a site to participate. You can link up via Facebook, GoodReads or even Amazon if you’d like.
My goal for this challenge is 25 authors! I am going to do it in conjuction with my debut author challenge, so names will be on both lists. So in addition to the 12 debut authors, I will have another 13 to read.
The Finer Deets
- The Main Rule: Do not include books acquired during 2013, it defeats the purpose, read those books from before 2013 started.
- Running dates for all 2013 challenges: 1st of January – 31st of December 2013
- Sign-Ups are accepted until the 16th of December 2013.
- Formats: All BA Challenges are eBook, audio, short story, and graphic novel friendly.
- Crossovers: You’re welcome to crossover with BA’s challenges. Include as many books across all the challenges as you can, I always say.
- Tempted– Choose 5 books to read
- Trying – Choose 15 books to read
- Making A Dint – Choose 30 books to read
- On A Roll – Choose 50 books to read
- Flying Off – Choose 75 books to read
- Hoarder – Choose between 76-135 books to read
- Buried – Choose between 136-200 books to read
If you feel like that extra kick to your reading challenges here’s a couple you can choose from.
- World: Choose a country as your theme, reading only books from that country or where it’s the setting. For how high you go you can choose more than one country;
- Level Tempted and Trying: Choose one country
- Level Making a Dint and On A Roll: Choose two countries
- Level Flying Off to end of Hoarder: Choose three countries
- Level Buried: Choose four countries.
- Gender Battle: Read books only by female or male authors. Another alternative is to read equal amounts of both.
For Off The Shelf, I am going to stick to Tempted since there are so many new books coming out that I want to read! Hopefully I will get a chance to read more than this, though.
Just a few simple rules/guidelines to help things run smoothly!
1) You must have a blog, a Goodreads account, a YouTube account, an Amazon account – any where you can post your reviews and share them with others.
2) There is no deadline to join the 2013 Debut Author Challenge, but make sure you give yourself enough time to achieve the goal!
3) ARCs of 2013 debuts read before January 01, 2013 do not count towards your challenge goal.
4) The 2013 debuts must be read between January 01, 2013 – January 31, 2014 to count for the 2013 Debut Author Challenge. The extra month is to allow participants more time to read the December releases.
4) 2013 debuts must be young adult or middle grade in order to count towards the challenge.
5) The title must be the author’s young adult or middle grade debut. If they have previously published an adult title, and this is their first young adult/middle grade title, that counts towards the challenge. If this is their second young adult/middle grade title, it does not count towards the challenge.
6) If you’re a blogger in the US, all debuts must be US debuts to count towards your challenge goal. Likewise, if you’re a UK blogger, all debuts must be UK debuts to count towards to your challenge goal, and same goes for other countries.
Note: I’m removing this rule. I was under the impression that it was easier to buy debuts in your own country, but based on feedback I’ve received in comments and e-mails, it sounds like it’s not! So if you live in Australia or India or wherever, and it’s easier for you to buy a US/UK debut on your kindle or purchase a book through the Book Depository or whatever, go for it – that will count.
7) Each review equals one entry in the monthly prize pack. If you post six review of debut titles in January, you have six entries to win the January prize pack.
For this challenge, I have to read and review at least 12 debuting authors! I am looking forward to all the new books coming out and finding new authors to love.
- Runs from January 1st 2013 until December 31st 2013. Sign ups will be open until December 1st 2013.
- There are five levels to challenge yourself too. You may move up a level but not go down a level. These are all outlined below. Please mention in your sign up post which level you will aim for.
- The genres you choose to read are up to you. As long as every book is different, whichever genre you wish to read you can.
- Every month there will be a post on this blog to link up to your update post / review(s)
- There will be a giveaway at the end of the challenge, and maybe a few within the year but these are TBD.
- To sign up, you will need to write a post saying which level you are challenging yourself too and then use the linky list. Non-Bloggers may post in the comments of this post.
- Any book formats are accepted.
- Novellas and Novels are all accepted for this challenge.
- YA, NA and Adult books all count towards this challenge.
- New sub-genres are accepted. (for example, paranormal-romance, or historical-romance)
- Careful; 6 different genres, 6 books
- Cautious; 12 different genres, 12 books
- Branching; 18 different genres, 18 books
- Avid Reader; 24 different genres, 24 books
- Champion; 30 different genres, 30 books
Categories; This is just a list of the vast variety of genres you have to choose from. I have probably missed a lot, so feel free to branch off from this. These are just suggestions.
For this challenge I think I am going to attempt Cautious. Out of a goal of 55 books for next year, I think I can swing 12 different genres between them all.
I have quite a bit of reading ahead of me! Hope everybody has fun in their reading challenges for 2013!!