Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and The Bookish. Each week a new top ten list is posted, and to participate all you have to do is fill in YOUR top ten for the list.
This week the topic is:
Top Ten Best/Worst Movie Adaptations
1. The Hunger Games – LOVED this movie and loved the book. There were some changes, but nothing overly major and it was very exciting to watch and read.
2. The Great Gatsby – This movie was so beautiful (I LOVE BAZ LUHRMANN) and it was an amazing adaptation right up to the cover’s billboard sign. The book was kind of boring for me but Baz really made it incredible on screen!
3. Stardust – This movie isn’t EXACTLY like the book, but it had things that just added to the greatness of this story (like the pirates – Robert DeNiro was AWESOME). The ending was different and I can appreciate them both differently, but they were both really good and this is one of my favorite movies.
4. Romeo and Juliet – Another Baz ❤ I love how he used the original Shakespearean verse but made it modern with how the swords were a type of gun and such. The music was great and it was flashy in part and all around beautiful and tragic.
5. Harry Potter – Loved, loved, loved all of these movies and books. They were amazing and the actors were amazing, and with the exception of a few things, I felt they were excellent adaptations. The characters where portrayed perfectly and this series will forever be ones of my favorites.
1. I Am Legend – I read this book before seeing the movie and THIS BOOK is THE REASON I will watch before I read. I was so mad by how different they were that I really couldn’t enjoy the movie. Almost nothing was the same. The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price is an incredibly close adaptation of this book, but for me, I Am Legend with Will Smith has to be the worst adaptation of a movie I have seen in all of my movie watching days. If I had watched it first, I would have been able to really enjoy it.
2. Eragon – I don’t remember it well enough to really comment on it, but I do remember it was quite different and as an adaptation, it wasn’t close.
3. The Vampire Diaries – This is a happy “worst” adaptation. I am very glad that they changed the TV show so much from the book. I just recently read the first book and it was VERY different, but in a way where I like the TV show much better. Some of the things that were changed I am not sure why they changed them, but there are by far more differences than similarities, which is fine, because, like I said, I like the show much, much better.
4. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief – I enjoyed the movie and I am glad I watched it before I read it because it was a good bit different from the book. There are several differences
5. Beastly – I say worst only because it was nothing like the book (so as an adaptation it wasn’t a close one) but I liked the movie better. I wasn’t really impressed with the book because to me, it wasn’t original enough. For most of it I felt as if I was reading Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. But for the movie itself, I really loved it! So I loved the movie, but if we are going for adaptation, it was far from the book.
A couple of them I had to think about which list to put them on since I really enjoyed one version and not so much for the other version, but mostly I judged them on how accurate of an adaptation they were. What movies/books made your list?