Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and The Bookish. Each week a new top ten list is posted, and to participate all you have to do is fill in YOUR top ten for the list.
This week the topic is:
Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT Pick up a Book
1. Rape – Rape is a horrible thing and I would never wish it on my worst enemy and I certainly don’t want to read it. This is the reason I haven’t read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yet. I don’t understand why so many movies and books are starting to have rape in them, but I steer clear!
2. Child/Animal Abuse – Children and animals are pretty defenseless when it comes to somebody hurting them. We are supposed to love them and care for them, not abuse them. They trust us, why would anybody want to harm them? If I know the story has this in it, best believe I won’t be reading it.
3. Sports – I’m just not a sports person. I may pick up some kind of sport romance one day like Catching Jordan, but of all the books I still need and want to read, it just isn’t at the top of my list.
4. Celebrity Authors – I question whether or not these books are really written by the celebrities or not, honestly, and unless you are a celebrity I really like, it is doubtful I will read the book. The only one I am considering to possibly read is Hilary Duff’s book, and that really is only because it has a pretty cover.
5. Nasty smut books – Romance books are one thing, but the ones that get all out nasty, no. Beautiful love scenes are great, but don’t be disgusting with it!
Really, these are about all I can’t think of that really make me turn away. I am a pretty open person, and I will try a lot of different books. I have read about incest (Forbidden), a pedophile (Lolita), cancer (The Fault in Our Stars) and suicide (13 Reasons Why), so there are not many subjects I am not willing to give a shot unless I am outright repulsed by the summary I read on the back. What words or topics make you shy away from books?